Thursday, October 30, 2014

Spanish Immersion

With this topic, my main question was what are educators/schools/teachers doing to help immerse students in culture? As I'm not an EDU major, while I was doing my observation assignment I came across a great video called Amazing Classrooms: Spanish Immersion. (Watch here!) This was the perfect companion to both my question for this blog and also for my observation.

The Spanish Language Immersion School runs with the help of teachers, educators, and parents. It takes in students who use English as their dominant language, from pre-K to grade 5, and has them leave after 5th grade fluent in Spanish, and immersed in the Spanish culture.


Many different teaching methods are used here. Teachers focus on small groups of kids, and use worksheets and verbal answers and speaking to enhance their understanding and pronunciation of the Spanish language. On top of that, they include separate cultural activities like salsa dancing and other cool things.

I think that this kind of culture immersion is fantastic. There's an entire school focused on doing what we learned about this week: teaching kids cultures different than their own. And by doing this, kids leave multi-cultural and able to understand to a whole new level about how to appreciate everyone's different cultures. I think it's a great way to do what everyone should do at least a little bit in every classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment